Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Soul Searching Ride After 5:00

Black Mountain, Pisgah Forest, NC









After finishing a day of work at the Biltmore Estates, I headed to the mountains for what would become a soul searching ride. Getting hung up in traffic slowed my trailhead arrival, and I rode out of the group camp sites, at 6:30pm, up Clawhammer to Black Mountain trail and across five summits. Then descended, in near dark, to the ranger station. I found out, upon exiting at the ranger station, that Black Mountain trail was closed due to deadfall.
I had been a little nervous about finishing in the dark. My route was lengthened when I missed a turn coming up Clawhammer, and almost bit off more than I could chew. I kept moving and stayed the course, making it out in a near dark evening. Jumped in the car and booked it back to K-town.

P.S. Just for the record, I was carrying a fully charged Nite Ride bike light, sweater, lighter, 100 oz. of water and a variety of other tools that would aid in either riding out in the dark or if I were lost waiting until morning. And I was never lost, I just did a much bigger loop than I intended.

1 comment:

ExtrmTao said...

Looking for the Maxwell Cove turn and ended up going to the top? If so, that was indeed much longer than you intended.

Interesting about the trail closure.

Peace