Thursday, June 19, 2008

I really know how to fall

Brian Nickleson,not crashing, at Raccoon Mountain

Hard-crashing feels good when you know how to "roll." Lately, I 've been tested with both bike riding-crashes and life-challenging-crashes. It turns out experiences from a pre-teen playground can prep you for "real-life." I remember crashing as a kid, and rolling out of a spill laughing. I'm still grinning in my mid-thirties diggers.

Last weekend, I made the quick trip down I-75 for a rip around Raccoon Mountain, with Brian and Jeff. We met a few of Jeff's old friends and rode the loop counter-clockwise, tearing it up. Near the end of a great loop, I made a move towards an un-scouted line. The adage look-before-you-leap had gone out the window. The rocks split 3 ways, with one staying low, the other shot the middle with a rolling drop back to the trail. The line I took went high on the rock and I imagined a transition from the height back to the trail, and there was none. I planted the front wheel and spilled into the rocks, and rolled away laughing. It wasn't until 24-hours later that I even felt the hard crash.

Without elaborating on any other crashes, suffice to say, I've chased a few dreams and when the time is right, it will all come together. I feel like I had a brush with a chance of a lifetime, that unfortunately was ill-timed. I'm sorry that I can't say more. But those who know, know that I was quite disappointed and am taking it in stride.

The stride of a long ride will be tested again tomorrow. I am heading down for the Cherohala Challenge. This will be my first road event. Having never done a century, (but come close on many long rides), this ride will be a challenge at 115 miles; up the tail of the dragon and over the Cherohala Skyway topping over 5,300 ft in elevation. That's my kind of road-ride, epic!


As my blog works towards the transition from "bikes, beer and dogs" to photos of a baby girl(!,) Erin has been doing great and having fun. She has been an amazing pregnant woman by being very active. The due date is nearing, just two weeks away.

No comments: